Small Business

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Should Christians Protect Themselves?

     The chatter and debates continue to grow about gun control in America.   It seems every day we are losing some kind of right that was given to us by God and/or our Constitution.  Which poses an interesting  question for the believer in Christ.  Should Christians protect themselves?  Should Christians own guns?  If Christians do not protect themselves and rely on Government to protect them, what happens when its Government that you need protection from?  What if its a robber?  Does a Christian have the authority to protect themselves in some situations and not others?  We see many examples in the Bible of Jesus and the Apostles not defending themselves. (John 8:59; Acts 16:25-31; Acts 4:18-21, 29; Romans 15:30).  Some people say that's different when you have kids.  Are we going to allow someone to come into you house and do whatever they want with you or your family?  That's a tough one to answer.  We are to be loving to our neighbor and turn the other cheek.  But at what price?  Are we to be martyrs for Christ, just like Jim Elliot and the other 4 missionaries? http://youtu.be/bSd2e_ykFsY I can say now what I would do, but really, no one knows until it happens to them.  All I know is that God is in control of all things, and that everything happens for a reason.  We know where our destiny's lie.  And if we hold these things to be true, then we have nothing to be afraid of.  At the end, the answer lies within all of us. 

 Psalm 27
The Lord is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life -of whom shall I be afraid?  When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.  Though an army besiege me, even then will I be confident.

2 comments:

Diwakar said...

Dear Sylvia, So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to know that you use your blog to post topics of faith, work, politics and evey day life's lessons. I am so encouraged by your Blog "The Current" and the post under it "should Christian Protect Themselves"?. Thank you so much for taking such very practical issues of faith where your faith is challenged. Well let me introduce myself to you. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 33yrs in the great city of Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where poorest of poor and richest of rich live with a population of 18 millions of which half of the population lives in the slums and those who live in the slums are the people who are poverty stricken, underprivileged, marginalized and socially, economically and politically oppressed. We reach out to such people with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted and to give new hope, future and purpose to their lives. We also encourage young as well as adult people from the West to come on a short term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai and have a life changing experience by bringing healing to the broken hearted. We would love to have you come on a short term missions trip and work with us. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. My email id is and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

Sly said...

Diwakar, Thank you very much for the invitation! If it's God's will for me to go to Mumbai someday, I would love to go. Right now, I am in the position that I should be in, because the practice of my faith is being challenged in my own Country every day. I pray for your continued faith in Christ so that He can meet your needs to help others.